Wednesday, December 29, 2010

A New Year - A New Life

It's been a little over a year since I started this blog. I have posted here sporadically, unsure of the direction I should take. My natural inclination is to talk about the things that I love - my family, the farm, the gardens. I did post about some of that, but I also made hesitant, self-conscious moves toward the political arena, an area that has always been foreign to me. Like many "farm-wives", I did not concern myself with politics, nor did the topic interest me in any way. I had children to raise, animals and gardens to tend and a family to care for. I just did not have time to "fool around" with politics.

Then about a year and a half ago, politics became a part of my life as I watched my country fall into an economic slump unlike anything we'd ever seen before. After much study, it finally became obvious to me - this country - and her people - is in big trouble, and not too many people are even really interested.

There is a huge percentage of our population that just does not want to think about how bad the economy really is, and thinking about what to do about it is even worse.

There is a term used on the internet - "sheeple". This is a derisive term used for people who just blindly plod along, following the leader (shepherd) without really having any idea of where they are being led. The implication is that "sheeple" are just too stupid to do anything different. Too stupid to ask questions, too stupid to consider change, too stupid to stop following the leader as he steers us toward a cliff from which we cannot retreat.

I would like to suggest that the majority of people in this country are neither stupid nor cowardly, but rather complacent. We have been taught for many years that we live in the best country in the world, that our leaders are good and honest people with the best intentions for our best, over all good.

Most of us know better than that now.

Yet, we still like to believe the news when it says that the economy is on an upswing, the recession is in recovery and things are going to be just peachy, right around the next quarter. I can't say with 100% certainty that this is not the case, but it really does not seem likely. My Bible does not tell me that the world will end in 2012, but it does tell me that there will come a time that sounds very much like the time in which we now live.

So how do we cope with this? How to we learn what is really coming and when? How can we prepare for a "time such as this"?

Many of us do not have the luxury of living in the country as we do, where a garden and everyday food production are just a part of every day life. Many of us just can't do the physical work we need to do to be self-sufficient the way we could in our younger years. How about us? Do we just stand by and wait for the country to fall to rack & ruin, the economy to swirl madly in a downward spiral, taking us with it?

So this blog will begin to change from a quaint little blog about country things into somewhat of a diary as one country woman, one grandmother, begins her journey toward understanding how to survive and thrive in the current and future economy, to try to learn which political pitfalls are present or presenting and to get through these next few years in comfort and prosperity - not just existing, but doing very nicely, thank you.

I hope you join me on this journey - it should certainly be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment